Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Patience

Patience.

 I've been told several times now that I am a very patient person. Maybe that's so, but I sure don't feel patient.

I loose my temper.
I get frustrated easily.
I am often stressed.
I hate waiting.
I am hasty.
I give up.
I am focused on the now.
I am easily annoyed.
I complain.


I am not a patient person.

Not at all. My whole life I have been reminded that "Patience is a virtue" because of the numerous times I haven't been patient.

What exactly is patience? According to the dictionary: The quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.

Bearing annoying, misfortunate, painful, provoking incidents with out complaining, becoming irritated, or loosing your temper?? Yikes. Sounds pretty impossible to me. 

The biggest problem with Patience is that people want things now. After going for a run once, you want to step on that scale and see that you lost all that weight. You order that package and you want it to be shipped to your door now, not in a week. You buy a airplane ticket for May, but you wish it was taking off tomorrow. You put a pizza in the oven and you wish it was done right away. You send someone a text and you want the answer now. I can think of a million more examples but I think you get the idea. 

But it's more then that. It's being understanding of people, being considerate towards others, helping people even if it might be an inconvenience to you.  Patience reveals our faith in God’s timing, omnipotence, and love.

Patience isn't something you just put on in the morning. Which, when you think about it, is really to bad. Think about how much nicer people would be to each other, how understanding, helpful, or kind we'd be to our neighbor.

Be patient, therefore, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. Behold, the farmer waits for the precious produce of the soil, being patient about it, until it gets the early and late rains. You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.  James 5:7-8

Pray for patience. 




No comments:

Post a Comment