Sunday, June 3, 2012

Little White Dot



I hope you where all outside tonight, because the moon was absolutely gorgeous. Big and beautiful, it seemed so close you could almost touch it! Earlier this evening the clouds where also really cool, and you know what that means: Camera time!

However, the moon is about as photogenic as a brick or a rock. No, I take that back, some rocks are actually very photogenic . . .anyways, back to the moon. Who is not photogenic, and hates having pictures taken. (sounds like a certain sister I know . . .) Again, besides the point.
(This one I googled, hence the mountains and actual moon, not the stupid white "dot")
That is what I think the picture is going to turn out looking like. (Obviously not the snow covered mountains since I live in IOWA) But the detail and size of the moon, you get the gist of it. And below is how it actually turns out when I attempt a picture of the moon.
(This one I actually took tonight)
Yeah, mhm. $1,000 camera and the stupid moon still seems so tiny. So, I sat outside for about ten minutes messing around with the focus, shutter speed, apature, zoom, manual mode, flash, and . . .you don't know what I'm talking about, do you? Well, to simplify, I pushed several random butons and still didn't really get anywhere. Oh well, somethings are just to beautiful to photograph.
Not going to lie . . .this one looks more like the sun then the moon

I messed around with the focus, so you can't tell its the moon . . .but still, I think it's cool :)
And it's not photoshop, because, well, that's super expensive and I'm trying to go to college

At least this time the white dot is a little bigger . . . 

And back to being a black background and white dot. Yippee. 
I guess what I'm getting at here is you should get out of bed, and look out your window because it was super pretty. You might not believe me . . .but I'm telling the truth here. My camera just didn't seem to agree with me tonight, go figure!


3 comments:

  1. I took a one night photography class taught at Centrum Arts & Foto, which was through NCC. He taught how to take clear pictures of difficult things like the moon,fireworks, lightning, etc. You have to do it on manual mode, and I think you need a tripod too. He also said that since the moon is very bright, it is very difficult to include any foreground when it is dark. The reason the top photo worked was because it was still daylight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was on manual mode . .minus the tripod. Plus, I was just kind of messing around. I remember the lady who taught photography during Dordt discovery days talking about the manual mode at night, except leaving your shutter open for and hour to all night to get the rotation of the stars, but I can't figure out how to leave my shutter open longer then a second. I should google that . . . .

      Delete
  2. And by the way, we don't live in the mountains, so the picture would also still not look like the top one even during the right lighting...:)

    ReplyDelete