Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Theater Kids

I'm a Theater Kid.

Theater Kids are weird.

Like, really weird. I don't even think we understand ourselves somedays.

All that being said, Theater Kids are awesome.

I recently had the honor to be in the college's production of "Things My Mother Taught Me." At the beginning of the semester I knew I wanted to be in the fall drama production, or at least try out. At the time I didn't realize what that would all entail. So, I show up at auditions--I was probably freaking out about a paper (or two) and an exam that was coming up--confident that I wanted to participate in this, although still of little hesitant. But within five minutes of waiting with the other Theater Kids I knew this was going to be great.

After auditions we waited.

And waited.

And then we waited a little longer.

Finally we got the cast list, the script, and the rights to perform.

Drama practice nights were the best nights of the week. Even though Thursday nights often meant 3 am bedtimes in order to get homework and studying accomplished and Friday night practice meant Friday night social events disappeared, they were the best nights of the week. The beginning of October seems so long ago, especially considering the final product at the beginning of November.

I'm not going to bore you with all the details of what happened during those crazy hours of drama practice, partially because I don't want to write that much, mostly because I'm not sure it's acceptable to talk about half the stuff we did. Also, I think "bore" is the wrong word to use. I'm sure Jolene can attest to the fact that half of practice was often spent trying to catch our breath after attacks of laughter.

Regardless, after several weeks of hard work in a tiny space we moved out of McGavern hall and into the most beautiful, huge, amazing set I have ever seen.
Just look at it. Counters, shelves, doors, cupboards, drawers, windows . . .SPACE TO MOVE!
Finally out of the tiny space of the classroom and on this majestic stage everything clicked. All our hard work payed off. Dress rehearsal was amazing and the two performances even better. And, as most of you heard since we were all freaking out about it, the playwright came to the show. *begin internal screaming again*

It's been a week since all of that. A crazy insane wacky week. Until last Friday night I didn't realize how much I missed drama practice. I still haven't stopped thinking in play lines, or even the inside jokes. They just pop out at the most random times. So if you hear me muttering to myself, just ignore me, it was probably in the script. (SO GOOD, SO GOOD, SO GOOD!) See what I mean? I just can't help it.

Sunday night we celebrated with a cast party. We talked about what made us proud, what made us frustrated, and what made us laugh. Basically, everything made us laugh. It was a comedy after all!

I was going to list some of the funny moments we talked about last night but as I was writing out the list I realized two things. Either they won't make sense since you weren't there, or its not an appropriate thing to say. Mostly the second reason. What can I say?

 We'reTheater Kids!

And we are crazy.
LtoR: Marissa as Maxine, Tim and Lauren as Gabe and Olivia, Me and Nick as Lydia and Wyatt, Ellen and Nathan as Karen and Carter. And Kevin center stage as directer.

Lights, group hug, action!

Of all the awesome things happening in this picture Pugsy is my favorite. 

Spoiler alert, happy ending


end scene


It Is Well With My Soul

No comments:

Post a Comment